Anne Arundel – Annapolis CERT and the Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management is sponsoring a Skywarn Basic Spotter Class. This class will be presented by professional Meteorologist from the National Weather Service from Sterling Virginia.
This course is a prerequisite for all other courses. Basics I is a good general overview of what it means to be a spotter as well as the basics of the different weather phenomenon that impacts the Mid-Atlantic. Upon completion of the course, you will be registered in the program by the NWS. You will receive a spotter code from the NWS within 6 weeks. Training in Basics I includes:
- The basic organization of the National Weather Service
- The role and importance of the Skywarn spotter
- How to report vital info to the NWS
- NWS Products and the Watch/Warning/Advisory system
- Thunderstorm, Flooding, Tropical and Winter Weather Threats
- The role of amateur short-wave (HAM) radio in the Spotter Program
Date: 2016 January 21
Time: 1900 – 2200 (3 hours)
Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management
7480 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd.
Glen Burnie, MD 21061