NYC Citizen Corps invites you to the 2015 Disaster Volunteer Conference: Becoming Response Ready – Working with Diverse Populations!
The Disaster Volunteer Conference was first launched in 2007 and brings together volunteers that are involved in disaster response and recovery work. This year’s conference will focus on workshops to help disaster volunteers become more efficient and effective in engaging vulnerable populations in an emergency or disaster response.
Doors will open at 5:30 PM. There will be light refreshments available. The program will start promptly at 6:00 PM. The Baruch College William and Anita Vertical Conference Center is fully accessible. If you need any other accommodations please indicate them through the event registration.
- A Helping Hand: Working with People with Access and Functional Needs
(Eli Fresquez, Senior Human Services Disability Access and Functional Needs (DAFN) Planner, NYC Emergency Management)
- Engaging Faith Communities in Disaster, Increasing Religious Competency & Literacy
(Peter B. Gudaitis, M.Div, President, National Disaster Interfaiths Network/NDIN)
- Get Ready, Get Safe: Preparing Communities to Protect Children in Disasters
(Jennifer Smith, Community Preparedness Manager (NY, NJ, CT), Save the Children USA)
- Listen, Protect, and Connect: Responding to Trauma and Creating Community Resilience
(Lisa Furst, LMSW, MPH, Director of Public Education, The Mental Health Association of NYC, Inc.)
- Transformative Change: Diversity and Cultural Competency
(Imani Keith Henry, MSW, MPA, Diversity Trainer/Organizational Development Consultant, OD for the People) Register HERE
2015 Disaster Volunteer Planning Committee representatives from:
- The American Red Cross – Greater New York (ARC-GNY)
- Medical Reserve Corps of NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
- New York Association for Volunteers (NYAVA)
- New York Cares
- NYC Department for the Aging (DFTA)
- NYC Emergency Management (NYCEM)
- The Salvation Army – Greater New York Division