The Sterling Virginia office of the National Weather Service (NWS) will be holding an open hose Saturday, April 30 and Sunday May 1. This will be an opportunity to see the operations of the local NWS office.
– Learn how Warnings & Forecasts are Made
– Hourly Weather Balloon Launch
-Child Friendly Weather Experiments
– Tours of the NWS office (an exceptional opportunity since this is usually secured)
– Learn about setting up your own Weather Station
– Various presentations on weather threats
– BASIC Skywarn Spotter class will be offered
AND MUCH MORE …..
Visit http://www.weather.gov/lwx/openhouse to learn more
Anne Arundel – Annapolis CERT and the Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management is sponsoring a Skywarn Basic Spotter Class. This class will be presented by professional Meteorologist from the National Weather Service from Sterling Virginia.
This course is a prerequisite for all other courses. Basics I is a good general overview of what it means to be a spotter as well as the basics of the different weather phenomenon that impacts the Mid-Atlantic. Upon completion of the course, you will be registered in the program by the NWS. You will receive a spotter code from the NWS within 6 weeks. Training in Basics I includes:
- The basic organization of the National Weather Service
- The role and importance of the Skywarn spotter
- How to report vital info to the NWS
- NWS Products and the Watch/Warning/Advisory system
- Thunderstorm, Flooding, Tropical and Winter Weather Threats
- The role of amateur short-wave (HAM) radio in the Spotter Program
Date: 2016 January 21
Time: 1900 – 2200 (3 hours)
Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management
7480 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd.
Glen Burnie, MD 21061